While John Coltrane first gained attention for his revolutionary ‘sheets of sound’ technique, it was the deep spirituality of his music that really made his recordings as a bandleader such classics. The albums Coltrane recorded for Atlantic in 1959 and 1960 represent the heart of his unparalleled legacy.
John Coltrane’s life will be the subject of a new documentary, Chasin’ Trane, out later this year, and now, for the first time since their original release, Rhino has assembled 6 of his mono albums from the Atlantic vaults for CD and LP boxed sets.
JOHN COLTRANE: THE ATLANTIC YEARS – IN MONO gives fans a glimpse into how Coltrane’s music first appeared to dedicated listeners through the 1960s. When these recordings first made it to the retail shelves, a majority of consumers were taking the discs home and listening to them on equipment that played the music monaurally. Commercial stereo releases first began to appear in 1958 – meaning that all of Coltrane’s Atlantic recordings were released simultaneously in both mono and stereo formats. By ’68 the label began to phase out mono releases.
Musical preferences are always subjective, yet the value of JOHN COLTRANE: THE ATLANTIC YEARS – IN MONO far exceeds musical nostalgia; it offers historical validity, the same aural experience that greeted fans when these albums were first released. Unfortunately the mono masters of three albums – My Favorite Things, Coltrane Jazz, and Coltrane’s Sound – were lost in a fire, thus explaining their omission from this box.
JOHN COLTRANE: THE ATLANTIC YEARS – IN MONO will be available on June 10 from Rhino as a 6-CD boxed set for a retail price of $64.98 and as a 6-LP 180-gram vinyl boxed set with an exclusive 7″ single for a retail price of $149.98, and features:
• Fully remastered in glorious mono.
• Original studio albums in glossy tip-on LP sleeves, replicating the original artwork and labels. Giant Steps (1960), Bags & Trane (1961) with Milt Jackson, Ole Coltrane (1962), Coltrane Plays The Blues (1962), The Avant Garde (1966) with Don Cherry.
• One LP of outtakes and a replica of the original ‘My Favorite Things Part I & II’ 7″ single, a hit for John Coltrane in 1961, exclusive to the vinyl box set.
• A 12″ x 12″, 32-page, perfect-bound booklet, with period photos by Lee Friedlander and liner notes.
• Elegant cloth-bound box.
• Liner notes by Grammy-winning jazz writer Ashley Kahn.
DISC 1: GIANT STEPS
1. Giant Steps
2. Cousin Mary
5. Syeeda’s Song Flute
7. Mr P.C.
DISC 2: BAGS & TRANE (with Milt Jackson)
1. Bags & Trane
2. Three Little Words
3. The Night We Called It A Day
5. The Late Late Blues
DISC 3: OLE COLTRANE
2. Dahomey Dance
DISC 4: COLTRANE PLAYS THE BLUES
1. Blues To Elvin
2. Blues To Bechet
3. Blues To You
4. Mr. Day
5. Mr. Syms
6. Mr. Knight
DISC 5: THE AVANT-GARDE (with Don Cherry)
2. Focus On Sanity
3. The Blessing
4. The Invisible
5. Bemsha Swing
DISC 6: THE COLTRANE LEGACY
2. Original Untitled Ballad
3. Untitled Ballad
5. Stairway To The Stars
6. Blues Legacy
DISC 7: MY FAVORITE THINGS 7″ SINGLE (Vinyl Boxed Set Only)
1. My Favorite Things Part I
2. My Favorite Things Part II